What Is Nearsightedness?
Nearsightedness (myopia) is a vision dilemma that would make it difficult to see distant objects evidently.
What Are the Signals & Signs and symptoms of Nearsightedness?
Youngsters with nearsightedness may possibly:
- have blurred vision when on the lookout at points that are not near to them
- maintain books, toys, or other objects closer to their encounter than standard
- squint their eyes or blink a good deal
- have difficulties studying words and phrases on a chalkboard at college
What Triggers Nearsightedness?
Nearsightedness transpires when light-weight that enters the eye focuses in front of the retina as an alternative of directly on it. This makes blurry vision in the length.
It transpires more often in college-age children, specially preteens and teenagers. Nearsightedness can operate in households.
How Is Nearsightedness Diagnosed?
An eye doctor can inform if your child is nearsighted. They will do a regime test that typically features:
- inquiring about signs or symptoms
- getting a household clinical heritage
- working with dilating eye drops to totally open the pupils
- inspecting the eyes
How Is Nearsightedness Addressed?
The eye doctor will prescribe glasses or speak to lenses to assistance your child see evidently.
How Can Moms and dads Enable?
To assistance acquire treatment of your child’s eyes:
- Get eyeglasses (or speak to lenses if advised). Permit your child assistance select the frames. Plastic frames and polycarbonate lenses are very best for younger children.
- Enable with speak to lenses. If your child is outdated more than enough and the eye doctor thinks contacts are a excellent alternative, assistance your child follow all guidelines on carrying and cleansing them.
- Go to follow-up visits with the eye doctor.
- Talk with your doctor about myopia regulate. New treatment alternatives can assistance slow the development of myopia in little ones.
- Simply call the doctor if your child has new signs or symptoms, like:
- complications or eye discomfort
- blurry vision when carrying glasses or contacts
- looking at flashing lights or floating spots
- any decline of vision
- If your child wears contacts, connect with the doctor for signs or symptoms these types of as:
- eye discomfort or redness
- superior sensitivity to light-weight
- itchy or dry eyes that really do not get far better with eye drops
Date reviewed: November 2020