Possibilities are you’ve got listened to about a foods, drug or other process that claims to avoid, handle or cure coronavirus condition 2019 (COVID-19). But while it could possibly be tempting to use a questionable item or process to keep healthier throughout the pandemic, it truly is exceptionally unlikely to work and could possibly lead to serious harm.
COVID-19 treatment and prevention myths
At this time, no cure is out there for COVID-19. Researchers are tests a range of solutions. But misinformation carries on to circulate about strategies to avoid an infection with the COVID-19 virus or handle COVID-19.
This is what the science claims:
- Pneumonia and flu vaccines. Vaccines versus pneumonia, this sort of as the pneumococcal vaccine, never give defense versus the COVID-19 virus. The flu shot also won’t secure you versus the COVID-19 virus. On the other hand, yearly flu vaccinations are advisable for everyone age 6 months and older.
- Saline nasal wash. There is no evidence that rinsing your nose with saline protects versus an infection with the COVID-19 virus.
- Superior temperatures. Exposure to the sunlight or to temperatures higher than seventy seven F (25 C) won’t avoid the COVID-19 virus or cure COVID-19. You can get the COVID-19 virus in sunny, sizzling and humid weather. Using a sizzling bath also cannot avoid you from catching the COVID-19 virus. Your regular physique temperature stays the exact same, irrespective of the temperature of your bath or shower.
- Reduced temperatures. Cold weather and snow also cannot kill the COVID-19 virus.
- Antibiotics. Antibiotics kill germs, not viruses. On the other hand, men and women hospitalized owing to COVID-19 could possibly be provided antibiotics due to the fact they also have formulated a bacterial an infection.
- Alcoholic beverages and chlorine spray. Spraying alcohol or chlorine on your physique won’t kill viruses that have entered your physique. These substances also can harm your eyes, mouth and garments.
- Drinking alcohol. Drinking alcohol won’t secure you from the COVID-19 virus.
- Garlic. You will find no evidence that eating garlic protects versus an infection with the COVID-19 virus.
- Ultraviolet (UV) disinfection lamp. Ultraviolet gentle can be utilised as a disinfectant on surfaces. But never use a UV lamp to sterilize your palms or other spots of your physique. UV radiation can lead to pores and skin irritation.
- 5G cell networks. Avoiding publicity to or use of 5G networks won’t avoid an infection with the COVID-19 virus. Viruses cannot journey on radio waves and cell networks. The COVID-19 virus is spreading in lots of countries that deficiency 5G cell networks.
- Disinfectants. When used to surfaces, disinfectants can assist kill germs this sort of as the COVID-19 virus. On the other hand, never use disinfectants on your physique, inject them into your physique or swallow them. Disinfectants can irritate the pores and skin and be harmful if swallowed or injected into the physique. Also, never wash make with disinfectants.
- Nutritional supplements. Lots of men and women acquire vitamin C, zinc, eco-friendly tea or echinacea to increase their immune systems. But these health supplements are unlikely to influence your immune operate or avoid you from acquiring ill. The health supplement colloidal silver, which has been promoted as a COVID-19 treatment, isn’t protected or powerful for dealing with any condition. Oleandrin, an extract from the harmful oleander plant, is poisonous and should not be taken as a health supplement or residence solution.
- Ivermectin. This drug is typically utilised in the U.S. to handle or avoid parasites in animals. In people, distinct doses of ivermectin tablets can be utilised to handle parasitic worms and a topical variation can be used to the pores and skin to handle head lice and pores and skin circumstances. On the other hand, ivermectin isn’t a drug for dealing with viruses and the Fda hasn’t accredited use of this drug to handle or avoid COVID-19. Using big doses of this drug can lead to serious harm. Don’t use remedies intended for animals on by yourself.
Concentrate on facts
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has been functioning to eliminate misleading goods from store cabinets and on the web marketplaces. In the meantime, keep in mind that testimonies are not a substitute for scientific evidence. Also, handful of diseases can be dealt with rapidly, so beware of quick fixes. A miracle cure that claims to contain a solution component is most likely a hoax.
If you have a question about a process for dealing with COVID-19 or protecting against an infection with the COVID-19 virus, talk to your medical doctor. To request a question about a COVID-19 medicine, you can phone your neighborhood pharmacist or the Fda‘s Division of Drug Details.
Productive COVID-19 prevention guidelines
There are steps you can acquire cut down your possibility of an infection. When probable, get a COVID-19 vaccine. If you are completely vaccinated, you can a lot more safely return to doing functions that you could possibly not have been able to do due to the fact of the pandemic. On the other hand, if you are in an region with a significant range of new COVID-19 cases, the CDC suggests putting on a mask indoors in public and outdoors in crowded spots or when you are in close speak to with men and women who are not completely vaccinated.
If you haven’t experienced a COVID-19 vaccine, the Earth Wellbeing Group (WHO) and the U.S. Centers for Sickness Manage and Prevention (CDC) endorse following these safeguards for keeping away from COVID-19:
- Stay clear of close speak to (in just about 6 feet, or two meters) with any individual who is ill or has signs.
- Preserve distance between by yourself and other folks (in just about 6 feet, or two meters), particularly if COVID-19 is spreading in your community, particularly if you have a higher possibility of serious illness. Preserve in thoughts some men and women may well have COVID-19 and distribute it to other folks, even if they never have signs.
- Clean your palms typically with soap and drinking water for at the very least twenty seconds, or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that consists of at the very least 60% alcohol.
- Wear a experience mask in indoor public spaces. If you are in an region with a significant range of new COVID-19 cases, have on a mask outdoors in crowded spots or when you are in close speak to with other folks who are not completely vaccinated.
- Address your mouth and nose with your elbow or a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Toss absent the utilised tissue and wash your palms or use hand sanitizer.
- Stay clear of touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Stay clear of sharing dishes, eyeglasses, bedding and other family objects if you are ill.
- Clear and disinfect significant-touch surfaces day-to-day.
- Stay residence from work, college and public spots if you are ill, except if you are going to get clinical care. Stay clear of having public transportation if you are ill.
Dec. seventeen, 2021
- Beware of fraudulent coronavirus checks, vaccines and solutions. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. https://www.fda.gov/people/shopper-updates/beware-fraudulent-coronavirus-checks-vaccines-and-solutions. Accessed April 23, 2020.
- Coronavirus condition (COVID-19) tips for the public: Myth busters. Earth Wellbeing Group. https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/tips-for-public/myth-busters. Accessed April 23, 2020.
- Coronavirus condition 2019 (COVID-2019): How to secure by yourself & other folks. U.S. Centers for Sickness Manage and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html. Accessed April 28, 2020.
- IE committee report CR-two-twenty faqs. Illuminating Engineering Modern society. https://www.ies.org/requirements/committee-reviews/ies-committee-report-cr-two-twenty-faqs/. Accessed April 28, 2020.
- Utilizing disinfectants: COVID-19. American Association of Poison Manage Centers. https://piper.filecamp.com/uniq/tWyujn4aphIEG7lh.pdf. Accessed April 28, 2020.
- Xu B, et al. COVID-19 outbreak involved with air conditioning in restaurant, Guangzhou, China, 2020. Rising Infectious Ailments. 2020 doi.org/10.3201/eid2607.200764.
- Will not depend on purely natural goods and “immune boosters” for COVID-19 prevention. All-natural Medications. https://naturalmedicines.therapeuticresearch.com/information/information-objects/2020/april/dont-depend-on-purely natural-goods-and-immune-boosters-for-covid-19-prevention.aspx. Accessed April 28, 2020.
- Coronavirus update: Fda and FTC warn 7 corporations advertising fraudulent goods that assert to handle or avoid COVID-19. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. https://www.fda.gov/information-gatherings/push-bulletins/coronavirus-update-fda-and-ftc-warn-7-corporations-advertising-fraudulent-goods-assert-handle-or. Accessed April 28, 2020.
- Marshall WF (specialist belief). Mayo Clinic. Aug. 19, 2020.
- Plante KS, et al. Prophylactic and therapeutic inhibition of in vitro SARS-CoV-two replication by oleandrin. bioRxiv. 2020 doi: 10.1101/2020.07.fifteen.203489.
- Oleander. All-natural Medications. https://naturalmedicines.therapeuticresearch.com. Accessed Aug. 19, 2020.
- Coronavirus condition 2019 (COVID-19): Food and coronavirus condition 2019. Centers for Sickness Manage and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/day-to-day-lifestyle-coping/foods-and-COVID-19.html. Accessed Aug. 19, 2020.
- COVID-19: Warn clients about poisonous oleander extract. All-natural Medications. https://naturalmedicines.therapeuticresearch.com/. Accessed Sept. 9, 2020.
- Deciding upon safer functions. Centers for Sickness Manage and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/day-to-day-lifestyle-coping/take part-in-functions.html. Accessed April 27, 2021.
- When you have been completely vaccinated. Centers for Sickness Manage and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/completely-vaccinated.html. Accessed Dec. fifteen, 2021.
- Why you must not use ivermectin to handle or avoid COVID-19. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. https://www.fda.gov/people/shopper-updates/why-you-must-not-use-ivermectin-handle-or-avoid-covid-19. Accessed Aug. 27, 2021.
- Your guide to masks. Centers for Sickness Manage and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/avoid-acquiring-ill/about-experience-coverings.html. Accessed Dec. fifteen, 2021.
See a lot more In-depth