Cancer causes: Well known myths about the causes of cancer
Misconceptions about cancer causes can direct to unwanted get worried about your well being. Locate out regardless of whether you can find any real truth to these widespread myths about the causes of cancer.
By Mayo Clinic Team
Scary claims circulate on the web that everyday objects and solutions, this sort of as plastic and deodorant, trigger cancer. Further than being improper, lots of of these myths may trigger you to get worried unnecessarily about your individual well being and the well being of your spouse and children.
In advance of you worry, just take a look at the truth powering these widespread myths.
Fantasy: Antiperspirants or deodorants can trigger breast cancer.
Fact: There’s no conclusive evidence linking the use of underarm antiperspirants or deodorants with breast cancer.
Some reports have recommended that these solutions have dangerous substances this sort of as aluminum compounds and parabens that can be absorbed by the skin or enter the body by nicks prompted by shaving. No medical studies have but specified a definitive solution to the concern of regardless of whether these solutions trigger breast cancer. But the evidence to date implies these solutions don’t trigger cancer.
If you happen to be even now involved that your underarm antiperspirant or deodorant could increase your danger of cancer, select solutions that don’t have substances that get worried you.
Fantasy: Microwaving food stuff in plastic containers and wraps releases dangerous, cancer-resulting in substances.
Fact: Plastic containers and wraps labeled as protected for use in the microwave don’t pose a threat.
There is some evidence that plastic containers that are not meant for use in the microwave could soften and most likely leak substances into your food stuff. Stay away from microwaving plastic containers that have been never meant for the microwave, this sort of as margarine tubs, takeout containers or whipped topping bowls.
Examine to see that any container you use in the microwave is labeled as microwave-protected.
Fantasy: People who have cancer shouldn’t eat sugar, considering that it can trigger cancer to mature a lot quicker.
Fact: A lot more investigation is desired to understand the connection concerning sugar in the food plan and cancer. All sorts of cells, together with cancer cells, depend on blood sugar (glucose) for vitality. But offering far more sugar to cancer cells would not make them mature a lot quicker. Furthermore, depriving cancer cells of sugar would not make them mature far more bit by bit.
This misunderstanding may be centered in element on a misunderstanding of positron emission tomography (PET) scans, which use a small volume of radioactive tracer — ordinarily a variety of glucose. All tissues in your body take up some of this tracer, but tissues that are working with far more vitality — together with cancer cells — take up bigger quantities. For this purpose, some people today have concluded that cancer cells mature a lot quicker on sugar. But this isn’t true.
There is some evidence that consuming significant quantities of sugar is linked with an improved danger of specific cancers, together with esophageal cancer. Eating much too a great deal sugar can also direct to body weight gain and increase the danger of weight problems and diabetes, which may increase the danger of cancer.
Fantasy: Cancer is contagious.
Fact: There’s no need to have to avoid a person who has cancer. You are not able to capture it. It really is Okay to contact and spend time with a person who has cancer. In actuality, your help may never be far more important.
Even though cancer by itself isn’t contagious, from time to time viruses, which are contagious, can direct to the advancement of cancer. Illustrations of viruses that can trigger cancer include things like:
- Human papillomavirus (HPV) — a sexually transmitted an infection — that can trigger cervical cancer and other forms of cancer
- Hepatitis B or C — viruses transmitted by sexual intercourse or use of contaminated IV needles — that can trigger liver cancer
Speak to your health practitioner about vaccines and other techniques to safeguard oneself from these viruses.March 21, 2020
- Golemis EA, et al. Molecular mechanisms of the preventable causes of cancer in the United States. Genes & Growth. 2018 doi:ten.1101/gad.314849.118.
- Common cancer myths and misconceptions. Countrywide Cancer Institute. https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/danger/myths. Accessed Feb. four, 2020.
- Foodstuff security: What you ought to know. Globe Health and fitness Group. https://applications.who.int/iris/handle/10665/160165. Accessed Feb. 5, 2020.
- Tse LA, et al. Bisphenol A and other environmental danger elements for prostate cancer in Hong Kong. Ecosystem Intercontinental. 2017 doi:ten.1016/j.envint.2017.06.012.
- Goncalves MD, et al. Dietary extra fat and sugar in selling cancer advancement and development. Yearly Evaluate of Cancer Biology. 2019 doi:ten.1146/annurev-cancerbio-030518-055855.
- Li N, et al. Dietary sugar/starches intake and Barrett’s esophagus: A pooled investigation. European Journal of Epidemiology. 2017 doi:ten.1007/s10654-017-0301-eight.
- Tashiro H, et al. Immunotherapy in opposition to cancer-relevant viruses. Mobile Investigate. 2017 doi:ten.1038/cr.2016.153.
See far more In-depth