Breast calcifications are calcium deposits inside breast tissue. They look as white places or flecks on a mammogram.
Breast calcifications are popular on mammograms, and they’re primarily prevalent after age fifty. Though breast calcifications are usually noncancerous (benign), specific styles of calcifications — these types of as limited clusters with irregular shapes and good physical appearance — could show breast most cancers or precancerous adjustments to breast tissue.
On a mammogram, breast calcifications can look as macrocalcifications or microcalcifications.
- Macrocalcifications. These exhibit up as huge white dots or dashes. They are pretty much normally noncancerous and call for no additional testing or adhere to-up.
- Microcalcifications. These exhibit up as good, white specks, identical to grains of salt. They are usually noncancerous, but specific styles can be an early sign of most cancers.
If breast calcifications look suspicious on your initial mammogram, you will be named back again for supplemental magnification views to get a closer look at the calcifications. If the 2nd mammogram is however worrisome for most cancers, your medical professional could advocate a breast biopsy to know for guaranteed. If the calcifications look noncancerous, your medical professional could advocate returning to your usual annually screening or have you return in 6 months for a brief-expression adhere to-up to make guaranteed the calcifications are not altering.
April 28, 2021
- Ikeda DM, et al., eds. Mammographic analysis of breast calcifications. In: Breast Imaging: The Requisites. third. ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier 2018. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. seventeen, 2018.
- What does the medical professional look for on a mammogram? American Cancer Modern society. https://www.most cancers.org/most cancers/breast-most cancers/screening-assessments-and-early-detection/mammograms/what-does-the-medical professional-look-for-on-a-mammogram.html. Accessed Dec. seventeen, 2018.
- Esserman LJ, et al. Diagnostic evaluation of women of all ages with suspected breast most cancers. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/look for. Accessed Dec. seventeen, 2018.
- Mammograms: What to know just before you go. American Cancer Modern society. https://www.most cancers.org/most cancers/breast-most cancers/screening-assessments-and-early-detection/mammograms/mammograms-what-to-know-just before-you-go.html. Accessed Dec. seventeen, 2018.
- Pruthi S (skilled belief). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. fourteen, 2019.
- Joe BN, et al. Breast biopsy. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/look for. Accessed Dec. seventeen, 2018.