Bed relaxation all through pregnancy: Get the information
Here’s what you will need to know about bed rest and pelvic rest throughout pregnancy, from facet outcomes to making the finest of it.
By Mayo Clinic Team
When you might be expecting, a prescription to stay in bed may possibly feel like a welcome break. In fact, nonetheless, restrictions on motion in the course of pregnancy can pose well being hazards. This is what you want to know.
Is bed rest proposed?
There is no proof that mattress relaxation in the course of pregnancy — at property or in the healthcare facility — is successful at managing preterm labor or avoiding untimely start.
Can exercise restriction assistance?
If you’ve had an episode of suspected preterm labor or you’re at higher risk of premature birth, your well being treatment provider could suggest activity restriction. This could possibly necessarily mean averting lifting things heavier than 20 kilos (about 9 kilograms) and restricting leisure work out, significantly toughness education and significant lifting. It may well also involve shifting your function plan, if it involves working much more than 40 several hours a week, night shifts, prolonged standing and weighty bodily perform.
If you’ve got experienced a stopped (arrested) episode of preterm labor and you encounter an increase in the frequency or depth of contractions following sex, your health and fitness care company may well advise keeping away from sexual activity.
If your drinking water breaks prior to labor commences (prelabor rupture of membranes), you have a reduced-lying placenta, or your placenta partly or fully covers your cervix (placenta previa), your wellness treatment provider will focus on keeping away from actions this sort of as sex and exercising.
Comprehend the side results
Bed relaxation in the course of being pregnant can pose health pitfalls, which includes:
- A blood clot in a deep vein, these as a vein in your leg (venous thromboembolism)
- Diminished bone mass (bone demineralization)
- Musculoskeletal and cardiovascular deconditioning
- Tension due to self-blame, youngster treatment difficulties, and worries about position loss or finances
If your well being care supplier recommends mattress relaxation or exercise constraints, question him or her to go over the good reasons. In the meantime, concentrate on being healthful and the working day you’ll be equipped to hold your infant in your arms.
Feb. 12, 2022
- American Higher education of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Practice Bulletin No. 171: Administration of preterm labor. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2016 doi:10.1097/AOG.0000000000001711. Reaffirmed 2018.
- Sosa CG, et al. Mattress relaxation in singleton pregnancies for protecting against preterm start. Cochrane Database of Systematic Assessments. 2015 doi:10.1002/14651858.CD003581.pub3.
- Simhan HN, et al. Inhibition of acute preterm labor. https://www.uptodate.com/articles/research. Accessed Oct. 1, 2019.
- Caritis S, et al. Management of pregnant gals after resolution of an episode of acute idiopathic preterm labor. https://www.uptodate.com/articles/research. Accessed Oct. 1, 2019.
- Da Silva Lopes K, et al. Mattress relaxation with and devoid of hospitalization in multiple being pregnant for enhancing perinatal results. Cochrane Databases of Systematic Testimonials. 2017 doi:10.1002/14651858.CD012031.pub2.
- Butler Tobah Y (skilled opinion). Mayo Clinic. Accessed Nov. 12, 2019.
See extra In-depth