Dry mouth is a prevalent symptom of Sjögren’s syndrome, as effectively as other conditions like diabetes and HIV/AIDS. Devoid of ample saliva, or spit, it can be tough to split down food stuff, swallow, and choose treatment of your enamel.
The Countrywide Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Investigate answers 5 prevalent questions about dry mouth and Sjögren’s syndrome to assist you navigate this tough problem.
Is dry mouth a usual portion of getting old?
No, dry mouth is not portion of the getting old approach by itself. However, as people today age, several may possibly acquire disorders that impact building saliva and they may possibly choose medications that can dry out the mouth.
What can result in dry mouth?
- Medications. Dry mouth is a aspect outcome of several types of medications, together with those for despair, allergic reactions and colds, and superior blood stress.
- Dehydration. Dehydration comes about when you get rid of much more fluids than you choose in. Folks of all ages can come to be dehydrated, but more mature grownups are specifically susceptible to it.
- Radiation treatment. Salivary glands can be broken if they are uncovered to radiation in the course of cancer procedure.
- Chemotherapy. Medications applied to take care of cancer can make saliva thicker, resulting in the mouth to really feel dry.
- Injury to the head or neck. A head or neck damage can problems the nerves that inform salivary glands to make saliva.
What can I do about dry mouth?
Pay a visit to your dentist or health practitioner, who will try out to decide the result in and may possibly:
- Recommend altering, or changing the dosage of, a medicine. But do not make any alterations to your medications right before talking with your dentist or health practitioner.
- Prescribe medications to raise saliva.
- Advise working with synthetic saliva.
Does dry mouth set me at threat for tooth decay?
Sure. Simply because saliva protects versus tooth decay, owning significantly less saliva can set you at threat. Keep your enamel wholesome by:
- Brushing at least twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste.
- Flossing regularly.
- Checking out your dentist at least twice a year. You can request your dentist if you need a prescription-toughness fluoride gel or rinse to assist avoid cavities.
If I have Sjögren’s, what can my dentist endorse?
To defend your enamel, your dentist may possibly endorse:
- Utilizing fluoride pastes, mouth rinses, gels, foams, or varnishes
- Consuming satisfactory amounts of drinking water (8 to 12 eight-ounce eyeglasses each and every day)
- Stimulating saliva creation working with sugarless lozenges, chewing gums, candies that contains xylitol, or medications such as pilocarpine and cevimeline
- Applying chlorhexidine, which can destroy micro organism
- Utilizing a calcium phosphate rinse to maintenance tooth enamel